This support note applies to:
- Profiles (AU)
- AE Tax Series 6 & 8 (AU)
These instructions require technical expertise
Make sure you know what you're doing and are using one of the products listed. If you're not sure, ask your IT professional or MYOB.
When opening Accountants Enterprise (AE) Tax from AE Practice Manager in a 64 bit Terminal Services environment, you may experience the error "Machine Name not Unique".
To fix this error, complete the following tasks.
- Open File Explorer (simultaneously press the Windows and E keys on your keyboard). The File Explorer window opens.
- Browse to the drive where the MYOB folder is located. The contents of the drive appear.
- Right-click in the drive and from the New menu select Text Document. A New Text Document.txt appears.
- Change the name of the New Text Document.txt to Contacts.cmd and press ENTER. The Contacts.cmd is created.
- Right-click the Contacts.cmd file and choose Edit. The Contacts.cmd file opens.
- Copy the following script and paste it into the Contacts.cmd file (replace S: with the actual drive letter where the MYOB folder is located).
start "Contacts" "S:\MYOB\bin\contacts.exe"
- From the File menu, select Exit and select the option to save your changes to the file. The changes are saved.
Right-click the Contacts.cmd file created above and from the Send to menu, select Desktop. A shortcut is created on the desktop.
- Right-click the Shortcut to Contacts.cmd created on the desktop in the previous step and select Properties. The Shortcut to Contacts.cmd Properties window opens.
- Click Change Icon. The Change Icon window appears.
- Click Browse. The Change Icon window opens.
- Click My Computer and browse to the MYOB\bin folder. The contents of the bin folder appear.
- Select the Contacts.ico file and click Open. The Change Icon window appears.
- Click OK. The Contacts.cmd Properties window appears.
- Click OK. The Shortcut to Contacts.cmd now displays the Contacts icon.
- Right-click the Shortcut to Contacts.cmd and select Rename. The name can now be edited.
- Change the icon name to Contacts and press ENTER. The name of the desktop icon now displays as Contacts.
Right-click the Contacts desktop icon and select Copy. The icon is copied.
Right-click the Windows Start button and select Explore All Users. The All User Start Menu appears.
Select the Desktop folder in the left hand navigation pane. The contents of the All Users desktop folder appear in the right hand explorer pane.
Right-click the All Users desktop folder and select Paste. The Contacts desktop icon appears in the folder.
The Contacts desktop icon will now appear for all users when they log onto the Terminal Server. The All Users desktop folder can now be closed.
You will now be able to open Tax from AE Practice Manager.
If this fails to resolve the error right-click on the icon and select Run as Administrator.