This support note applies to:
- AO Tax (AU)
- AE Tax Series 6 & 8 (AU)
- AE Tax (AU)
MYOB recommends that your computer systems are always running the latest Windows Operating System versions and have applied appropriate updates to ensure you have the most recent security enhancements and features.
When developing software, MYOB only test product releases on versions of Windows that are currently supported. (See the list below for more information).
MYOB takes the security of our clients and our clients' data seriously, and recently when making a change to security of our PLS Cloud Service to comply with ATO requirements, we found a small number of clients who encountered issues performing lodgments.
These issues occurred with this small number of client sites because the older Operating Systems in use did not contain the necessary security components to allow the MYOB software to communicate with our PLS Cloud Service and subsequently the ATO. This highlighted the importance of staying up to date.
Check the sections below for the versions of Windows currently supported and what to do if you are using an MYOB application in an unsupported environment.
For the 2018 Australian Tax release, the following versions of Windows are supported:
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
Are you using an earlier version of the Windows Operating System that is no longer supported by MYOB? Now is the time to have a conversation with your Client Manager about a Migration to a supported platform.
If you are using an unsupported Windows Operating System version and need to lodge now, please review the sections below for information that may help you to lodge.
MYOB can't guarantee that the following information will assist you with being able to lodge as these steps are for unsupported environments and as such have not been tested.
If you are using Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, please ensure that you have all the latest updates and security fixes applied. You must also be using Service Pack 1 as well as applying all necessary Windows updates.
Once you have completed all available updates (which might require multiple reboots of your computer), follow these steps:
- Using Windows Explorer, locate the file "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.DLL".
- Right click on this file and choose Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the "Details" tab and then check that the File Version is 2.0.50727.8770 or higher.
- If you're using a 64-bit operating system, repeat steps 2 and 3 above for the file "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\System.DLL".
Once you have the required updates, test if your lodgments now work.
if lodgments still don't work, then proceed with these additional steps:
These steps require familiarity with changing the Windows registry. If you are not sure of these steps, please consult your IT Professional.
- Complete the steps in Microsoft's Transport Layer Security (TLS) best practices with the .NET Framework article for information on enabling TLS 1.2 on Windows 7 SP1 & Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
- Complete the steps in the TLS 1.2 section of the Microsoft document Transport Layer Security (TLS) registry settings.
If you are using an earlier version of Windows, then in addition to performing Windows updates, there are a number of additional steps that need to be completed in order to get your system to support TLS 1.2.
- Complete the steps in Microsoft's Transport Layer Security (TLS) best practices with the .NET Framework article for information on enabling TLS 1.2 on Windows Server 2008.
- Complete the steps outlined in the Microsoft support article - Update to add support for TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 in Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, and Windows Embedded Standard 2009.
TLS 1.2 is not supported at all on these and earlier platforms.
Microsoft have made no statement that there is any intention to change this.
This means that you will no longer be able to lodge returns electronically. Speak to your Client Manager about moving to a supported Operating System and migrating your MYOB applications.
MYOB INTERNAL STAFF ONLY
Insert PR# 164662747746
Ensure you send a LeadGen to the client's CM to ensure follow up regarding a Migration to supported platform