This support note applies to:
- AO Tax (AU)
- AE Tax Series 6 & 8 (AU)
- AE Tax (AU)
From 1 July 2013, your individual income tax clients' refunds will need to be deposited into a bank account if you want to lodge via Electronic Lodgment System (ELS). Depending on your arrangement with your clients, refunds can be deposited straight into their bank account, or, if you operate a trust account, they can be directed into your trust account on your clients' behalf.
You enter the Tax Agent's bank account details in the Control Record and you enter the client's default bank account details in the tax return properties.
Following is information regarding how to enter your Tax Agent's bank account details and the client's bank account details and also how to select the required option.
Entering a trust bank account
Use the following steps if you access Tax through Accountants Office (AO) or through Accountants Enterprise (AE) including accessing Tax using Client Compliance.
- Open AE/AO Practice Manager and click the Tax button on the toolbar. The Tax - Client Search tab opens.
- Click Control Record in the TASKS bar. The Tax 20xx window appears.
Click the Banking tab. The Bank Account Details appear.
Complete the Bank Account Details fields as required and click OK. The default banking account details are updated and the Control Record closes.
Entering client bank account details and selecting the required option
- Open the Individual return and click the Properties icon on the toolbar. The Return Properties window appears.
- Click the Bank a/cs tab. The Bank a/cs window appears.
- Enter the required details in the BSB, Account number and Account name.
Click OK. The details are entered.If the client has multiple bank accounts, enter the second bank account details to Bank account 2.
- Open the tax return front cover.
- Click the ellipses [...] button on the Select bank a/c details from: field. The Select window appears.
- Highlight the relevant option and click Select.
- A – The agent's bank account.
- 1 – Client's Bank Account 1.
- 2 – Client's Bank Account 2.
No default – Allows you to enter the bank details directly into the Tax Return Front Cover.
The bank account details appear on the front cover.If your client does not have a bank account and the Practice does not have a trust account, you need to contact the ATO on 13 72 86 fast key code 1312. Until you do this you will not be able to finalise lodgment. The ATO will work with you on a case-by-case basis to enable electronic lodgment for these clients.