This support note applies to:
- AO Practice Manager (AU)
- AO Workpapers (AU)
- AO Statutory Reporter (AU)
- AE System Release (NZ)
- AE System Release (AU)
- AE Reporter (NZ)
- AE Reporter (AU)
- AE MAS (NZ)
- AE MAS (AU)
- AE Assets (AU)
- AE Assets (NZ)
These instructions require technical expertise
Make sure you know what you're doing and are using one of the products listed. If you're not sure, ask your IT professional or MYOB.
In MYOB Accountants Enterprise (AE) System Release 8.1, or if you are running MYOB Accountants Office (AO) with AE MAS, Assets or Reporter and have just updated one of these products, you may experience the error "Lock violation" or "Sharing violation" when opening System Release products such as
- AE MAS
- AE Assets
These errors occur when one or more workstations that have older versions of the S6DB32.DLL, which is a file used for System Release on the workstation to read and write from the associated System Release database files, and they are referenced in the Windows Registry, that points to an older, outdated version of that DLL file.
To resolve this, first ensure that your Anti-virus software is disabled then perform a workstation installation of System Release/MYOB AO on all workstations. Then run the utility file below on each and every workstation.
Download S6Db32ChangePathUtility.exe and perform the following process.
- Log Out of System Release: Ensure that all workstations and the server has exited all System Release software including the Post process/Vizpost/Background process window.
Run the Utility file: Run the utility as the Administrator on every workstation and the server where your MYOB software and data is located.If you are using a Remote Desktop or Terminal Server to access MYOB software, you should only need to run this utility once for the server however, the utility must be run on all other workstations and servers.
Delete the s60.tcf file only: Once the utility has been run on all computers, locate and delete the s60.tcf file. The s60.tcf file is located in your X:\SOL64\S6 or X:\MYOBAO\AOSQL\Tax\S6 where X: represents the drive letter where your System Release files are located.
The above steps must be completed on all computers prior to accessing the MYOB software. If any computer is missed, you will need to:
- Complete Steps 1 & 2 on all computers that have not run the utility file and then
- Complete Step 3.
If after completing this process, close then reopen AE or AO on the workstation.
If you are still experiencing this error, you may need to manually modify the registry on every workstation.
If you are still experiencing this issue, you will need to ensure that you have:
- Performed the Run the utility file process in full on every workstation as outlined above and then
- Manually modify the registry on every workstation, or check that the values are correct.
To manually modify the registry or check that the values are correct you will need to do the following:
- Click Start on the toolbar. The Start menu appears.
- In the "Search for programs and files" field, type regedit and press ENTER.
- Press the HOME key on your keyboard. The Hive Pane shows "Computer" at the top of the list.
- Press F3. The Find window appears.
- In the "Find what:" field, type S6DB32.DLL and click "Find Next". S6DB32.DLL is entered in the "Find what:" field.
- Locate from the right pane, a highlighted entry displaying a "Default" value, with a path to a S6DB32.DLL file. Press ENTER to change the value. The Edit String window appears.
- Change the value from C:\SOL64\S6DB32.DLL to <drive>:\SOL64\S6DB32.DLL where <drive> equals the drive letter that contains your System Release folder. The value is changed.
- Press ENTER or click OK to close the Edit String window. The Edit String window closes.
- Press F3 to resume the search.
- Repeat steps 6 through 9 until the message "Finished searching through the registry" appears. The search has finished.
After running the utility file or updating the registry, if you still receive the error "Lock violation", check that the version of S6DB32.DLL is version 126.96.36.199. The Date modified for this file version should read 14/10/2015.
If you have recently installed AE Assets, the AE Assets installer may have replaced the S6DB32.DLL with an older version, dated 13/12/2006. This will need to be updated as follows.
To check the version of the S6DB32.DLL file:
Navigate to the relevant location for your operating system:
Operating system Location of S6DB32.DLL 32-bit C:\Windows\System32 64-bit C:\Windows\SysWOW64
Locate the file S6DB32.DLL and note the Date modified.
- If the Date modified is prior to 14/10/2015, copy the S6DB32.DLL file from the X:\SOL64 or X:\MYOBAE\AESQL\TAX location (where X:\ is drive AE/AO is installed to) and into the above folder.
If after completing this process you are still experiencing this error, re-run the S6Db32ChangePathUtility.exe utility again.