This support note applies to:
- AO Classic Tax (AU)
Following is information regarding how to prepare and complete an amendment for an Individual tax return in relation to a new client for whom you did not complete and lodge their original tax return.
In this instance you need to enter the details of the last tax return that was lodged to the ATO, update the status to Ready to Lodge, or Completed, and then edit the status to Validated.
- Create the new client in the Clients module. The client is created.
- Open the Tax module and open the tax return. The tax return appears.
- Enter the details of the tax return that were last lodged to the ATO. The prior return is complete.
- Click Audit and ensure the tax return is free from validation errors. The Audit Check window opens.
- From the Tax menu, select Update ELS. The Audit for ELS window opens.
- Ensure that the Ready to Lodge option or Update ELS option is selected and click OK. The Audit for ELS window closes.
- Close the tax return and click the By Return tab. The returns for the selected year appear.
Select the Ready to Lodge option or Completed option and clear all the other status options. The tax return appears.
If the return doesn't appear, clear the Ready to Lodge option or Completed option and then re-select it.
- Right-click the tax return and select Edit Status. The Edit Status window or Return Status window appears.
- Click the Validated option and enter dates in the Lodged and Validated fields, then click Save & Close. The tax return is now in the Validated status and can be amended. For more details refer to Preparing an amended Individual tax return.