This support note applies to:
- AO Practice Manager (AU)
- AO Tax (AU)
- AE Practice Manager (AU)
- AE Tax Series 6 & 8 (AU)
- AE Tax (AU)
In MYOB Accountants Enterprise and Accountants Office Tax (MYOB Tax) return security can be applied on a tax return to secure and protect client tax information.
To apply return security on specific returns the feature will need to be activated for the specific tax year and then return security can be applied on specific tax returns. To apply return security on any other tax year you will need to follow the same instructions for that specific year.
When adding employees, select correct employee codes. For practice manager/profiles users it will be the employee code in practice manager/profiles. For users accessing returns via System Release only it will be the code used to log in to System Release.
Setting up return security
This functionality is available in 2010 and later income tax years.
- Open any tax return. The tax return appears.
- Follow the menu path Utilities > Control record. The Control Record Properties window opens.
- Click the Security tab and click Return Security. The Return Security Admin window appears.
- Select the Return Security active option and Add employees for access to disabling return security feature then click OK.The Control Record Properties window returns with Return Security being Active.Activating this feature does not mean that users will not have access to the return that you have opened to enable return security. You will need to ensure that when applying return security, the employees you will then add are the only employees who will be able to disable return security feature.
- Click OK.
- The Tax return appears.
Applying return security to a specific return
Once the return security feature is activated, security can be applied to any return in the specific year where the feature was activated.
- Open the tax return that return security will be applied to. The tax return opens.
- Click the Return Properties icon (located at the top right corner of the tax return). The Return Properties window appears.
- Click the Staff tab and select the Apply Return Security option. The Add Additional Employee button is activated.
- Click Add Additional Employee. The Employees by Code window appears and you can now add all the employees that are permitted to access this return.
Employees added here will have access to the tax return data only.
- Click OK. The tax return appears.
- Close and reopen the return. The return security for this tax return is now active.If an unauthorised user attempts to open the return, the user will be prompted with "ERROR: This return is secured by return security. You are not authorised to access this return."
Secured tax returns will not display sensitive information in Tax homepages and not appear on an MYOB report for any employee not permitted to view the secured tax return.