This worksheet has been redesigned to meet the requirements for preparing and lodging the ATO's Deductions schedule (DDCTNS). It assists also with the application of the deductible amount under S82AA.
The Work-related self-education Expenses worksheet (sed) has been redesigned to comply with ATO changes.
- You can only claim self-education expenses that related to your work as an employee at the time you were studying
- The deduction cannot be claimed if the self-education was undertaken in order to get a new job or commence a new income earning activity
- If you've received a PAYG payment summary foreign employment, or you are a Working holiday maker you can claim any expenses related to a course you undertook here
- You can have up to 20 sets of details. To add a row, press Ctrl+Insert. To delete a row, press Ctrl+Delete
- Motor vehicle expenses and Depreciation expenses relating to D4 are passed from the Motor vehicle worksheet (mve) and the Depreciation worksheet (d)
- If you enter expenses in $c you'll need to ensure that they end in a whole $ figure to avoid V172D.
- Totals in this form are not lodged with the ATO. They are used to to cross reference amounts in the individual income tax return.
The reason for the expense has been changed to read Self education reason.
When choosing a code that best describes the connection with your current work activities to the course undertaken. the connection to work can be one of the following:
|I||Based on improved income potential in current work.||At the time you incurred the expense you could show that the study was leading to, or was likely to lead to, increased income from those work activities.|
|K||Directly related to skills required for current work activities.||At the time you incurred the expense the study maintained or improved a skill or specific knowledge required for those work activities.|
|O||Some other direct relationship between study and current work activities||Other circumstances where there is a direct connection between the taxpayer's self-education and their current work activities.|
Complete the motor vehicle worksheet (mve) and select to apportion the costs to the Self-education worksheet (sed) if relevant. We'll default the information and values from the mve when you open the sed.
Other expenses at Section A include:
- Text books
- Student Union fees and student services and amenities fees
- Course fees
- Public transport fees
If you've completed the motor vehicle worksheet (mve) and selected to apportion some of the costs to the Self-education worksheet (sed), we'll default the information and values from the mve when you open the sed.
Enter any Repair expenses
When you close the sed worksheet, we'll add up the amounts and pass the values from the sed to:
- Item D4 label D in the income tax return.
- Item D4 the Deductions Schedule (DDCTNS).