Skip to main content
Skip table of contents

Item L1 - Tax losses of earlier income years

Do you have any tax losses of earlier income years?

Complete this item if you have a tax loss from an earlier income year and which you have not claimed as a deduction this year.

You may have a tax loss at item L1 this year which you may be able to claim as a deduction. You must complete this item even if you are unable to claim a deduction for the loss this year.

To complete this item on your tax return you will need records of your tax losses from earlier income years.

Click any of the labels Q, F, R or Z at L1 to record prior year losses in the Prior year losses worksheet (pyl). When you close the pyl worksheet we'll pass the relevant values to the L1 labels.

PP losses are applied before non-PP losses.

Any losses remaining at the end of the year to carry forward are not calculated until the return is rolled into the next year. Losses are reduced in order of the year in which they were incurred.

Do NOT include:

  • Capital losses

  • Expenses and losses incurred in earning foreign income

  • Deferred non-commercial business losses from a prior year.

JavaScript errors detected

Please note, these errors can depend on your browser setup.

If this problem persists, please contact our support.