Skip to main content
Skip table of contents

IR9 Question 19 Refunds and/or transfers

If you’re entitled to a refund you can:

  • transfer it to arrears that are being paid off

  • transfer all or part of it to your 2020 provisional tax

  • have any balance direct credited to your club or society’s bank account or other deposit account for example, a building society account shown at Question 6.

If you’ve made payments towards your 2020 provisional tax and, after completing this return, find you have less or no provisional tax to pay, the overpayment can be included in the amount Inland Revenue refund or transfer. Print the overpaid amount in Box 19A.

Direct credit

See Bank account number for more information on how to have your refund direct credited to your bank account.

Refunds of less than $5

If your refund is less than $5 it will be carried forward to your next tax assessment. Inland Revenue will offset it against any amount you may owe them or add it to any refund. If you don’t want it carried forward, please call Inland Revenue on 0800 377 774.


If you’d like your refund (“the credit”) transferred to another account or to arrears you’re paying off by an instalment arrangement, you’ll need to tell Inland Revenue what date you’d like it transferred. The date you choose depends on what tax has been overpaid and whose account you want the credit transferred to.

If the transfer is to arrears being paid off through an instalment arrangement, you’ll need to include a note with your return authorising the transfer. Please state clearly:

  • that the transfer is to arrears currently under an instalment arrangement

  • the name and IRD number of the taxpayer the transfer should be made to

  • whether the taxpayer is an “associated taxpayer”

  • the tax type and period

  • the date you’d like the transfer to take place.

Associated taxpayers

When transferring overpaid tax, associated taxpayers are:

  • a company you’re a shareholder-employee in a partner in the same partnership

  • a trustee of a family trust you’re a beneficiary of.

You can ask for your credit to be transferred at any date as long as it’s not before the relevant date shown below.

Future transfer dates

If you’d like your credit transferred at a date in the future, attach a note to the front of your return with details of:

  • the amount you want transferred

  • the account you want it transferred to, and if it’s the account of an associated taxpayer

  • the date you’d like it transferred.

If you don’t tell Inland Revenue the date you’d like your credit transferred, they will transfer it at a date they think gives you the greatest advantage. Contact Inland Revenue if you’d like to change the transfer date and tell them if this transfer is to cover a debt.

Requesting transfers on the return form

Fill out the boxes on page 3 of your return if you’d like to transfer a credit to another account.

Transfer date

For credit transferred to your account or an associated person’s account:

  • If the credit is from excess tax deducted (for example, PAYE deducted) it’s the day after your balance date (or 1 April if your balance date is before 31 March).

  • If the credit is from overpaid provisional tax it’s the day you overpaid it.

For credit transferred to a non-associated person’s account, it’s the later of the day you requested the transfer, or the day after you file your return.

Contact Inland Revenue if you’d like to change the transfer date. Include the account details you want the credit to be transferred to. If it’s going to another person, tell Inland Revenue the transfer date.

JavaScript errors detected

Please note, these errors can depend on your browser setup.

If this problem persists, please contact our support.