Accountants Enterprise only
- Open the practice template for editing. See Opening a practice template for editing.
- Position the mouse cursor in the practice template where the new field is to be inserted.
- Click Insert Field on the toolbar.
Select Insert > Field on the main menu. The Insert Field window opens.
- Select Number.
- Click OK. The Number window opens.
- Enter a Field name for the Number field. The Field name is automatically filled when the Number window opens. You can accept the default or overwrite it. The system will allocate the next sequential number prefixed by a N for number fields.
If you decide to overwrite the default Field name, then enter a unique Field name. Conditions for the Field name:It is limited to a maximum of 30 alphanumeric characters.
It must not start with a number, as this affects the calculations.
It must not contain any spaces.
It may contain an underscore as part of the name.
It is not case sensitive.
- Enter the Default value for the number field. The default value is 0.00.
- Select the Format of the displayed number field from the drop-down. The Number - 2 decimal places and the Number - no decimal options display with no formatting and no commas e.g., 2478.55. The Currency option displays the account balance with a thousands separator and a currency value as set by the regional settings, e.g., $2,478.55. With all options, negative numbers are displayed with a leading minus sign, e.g., -2478.55.
- Tick the Include comma separators checkbox if you want to include a comma as a thousands separator.
- Select the Show this number when zero option, if required.
- Select the This number is part of the Workpaper’s journal option, if required.
If this option is selected, when you prepare a workpaper and select to create a journal, the amount will be automatically included in the new journal. Any number fields that have this option selected will be listed in the journal. This option is most commonly used for the variance field so that a journal can be created automatically from the variance amount.
Several fields in a single workpaper can be used to create workpaper journals.
If you have selected the This number is part of the Workpaper’s journal option, and you want to include quantities rather than an actual balance (for example, for farm accounting):
Click the Edit journal settings... button. The Edit journal settings window displays.
In the Account section, select the Post to the linked account option or select an account from the Post to the account selected in this field dropdown, depending on where you want the amount to be posted.
Select the Post as quantity option in the Balance type section.
Select the Rollover value to next period checkbox, if required.
This checkbox is selected by default. This means that the number fields of the template have been flagged to be rolled over. You can select which number field will be rolled forward.
Select the appropriate Rollover value to next period option:
Same number field
The number amount will be rolled over to the same number field.
Select another number field
Select the appropriate field, that will display the number amount in the next period, from the drop-down.
(Australia) If this calculation is to be mapped to a Tax Return field, select Field to be mapped to Tax Return. The Tax Return field mapping code field is editable. Select the Tax Return field mapping code.
- Click OK. The Number field is placed at the insertion point. The Number window and the Insert Field window close.