There are various ways in which emails can be created and saved in Document Manager. A reference number can be automatically inserted in an email if the relevant setting is applied when Configuring Document Manager for use.
It is possible to initially create the email within Microsoft Outlook and then save it in Document Manager. In this instance, you need to decide whether you want to insert a reference number before sending the email.
Emails can be linked to existing emails previously sent to a client or the email may be completely new and not associated with a previous email.
See Creating new documents for information on how to create an email using the Create Document Wizard.
- Open the client or contact to whom you want to send the email.
- Click the Documents tab.
- Select Add Email on the Tasks bar.
Click in your system tray and select Add Email from the popup menu. See Accessing Document Manager from the system tray. The Create email window opens.
- Do one of the following:
- If the new email is not associated with any other emails, select the NEW email not associated with a previous email checkbox. Click OK. The Create Document Wizard: Add Email opens on the Step 1 of 2: Contact, Stationery & Standard information page Details tab by default. See Creating new documents.
- If the new email is to be associated with another email sent to this client or another client:
- Select the Link this email to a previously captured email checkbox. For example, you may want to link the email being created to an email received from the client. The remaining fields in the Create email window become enabled.
- Enter the Reference no of the document to be linked. Alternatively, click the ellipse button to open the Search for a document window. In the Search Criteria section, enter the document name or part thereof in the Title field.
- Click Search or press the [Enter] key. The search results display. The results can be sorted alphabetically by clicking a column header.
- To view an email, select a document and click View. Microsoft Outlook automatically launches, displaying the email.
- To confirm the selections, click OK. The selected email's Reference no, Title and Contact displays. By default, the Create as current version checkbox is selected. This option can be deselected, if required.
- In the New addressee details section:
- Enter the Addressee. Alternatively, select the Addressee from the drop-down.
- Enter the Email address. Alternatively, select the Email address from the drop-down.
- Click OK. The Create Document Wizard: Add Email window opens at Step 1 of 2: Contact, Stationery & Standard information on the Details tab.
- Complete Create Document Wizard: Add Email. See Creating new documents. The new email will open in Microsoft Outlook ready for you to complete and send.
- Click Send in Microsoft Outlook to send and save the email.