Skip to main content
Skip table of contents

IR3 Question 10 Non-residents and transitional residents


If you were away from New Zealand for a total of 325 days in any 12-month period and don’t have a “permanent place of abode” in New Zealand, you may be a non-resident. Read the guide New Zealand tax residence (IR292) to find out your status. If you weren’t present in New Zealand and are a non-resident for a full year, but you received income from New Zealand, you may need to complete an IR3NR return instead.

Transitional residents

If you became a New Zealand tax resident during the year 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 and you’ve elected not to be treated as a transitional resident, you have to complete an IR3 declaring your worldwide income from the date you became a New Zealand tax resident.

Transitional residents don’t have to declare their foreign-sourced income except for foreign employment income and foreign services income.

If you were a non-resident for part of the year, complete Question 37 on your return.

If your return isn’t for a full year, Inland Revenue will calculate your tax and income-related tax credits and let you know the result—see Exempt transitionals for further information.

JavaScript errors detected

Please note, these errors can depend on your browser setup.

If this problem persists, please contact our support.