This support note applies to:
- AE Practice Manager (NZ)
- AE Practice Manager (AU)
- AE Tax (NZ)
- AE Tax (AU)
MYOB provides a Migration Service. If you have any doubts or concerns about completing this migration yourself, please contact your local MYOB office and arrange for one of our Consultants to perform the migration for you. This service may require a booking, so please plan well in advance.
If you experience issues with MYOB software after following the instructions below, additional assistance on your migration may fall outside of the terms of your Sales and Service Agreement.
Migrating just the SQL database
To migrate just the MYOB Practice Management SQL database, you need to:
- Backup the VPMSER database on the old SQL server.
- Restore the VPMSER database on the new SQL server and run the create user script.
- Change the lookup.xml to point to the new SQL server for example C:\Program Files\MYOB\Central\Deploy.
Install integration on the new SQL server. Refer to the attached integration documents for your relevant integration platform:
Migrating AE Practice Manager to a new server
It is important to ensure that you have a complete and reliable backup of the Practice Manager Database. You need to do this before you attempt to move or copy data to your new file server. You can perform the backup of the database through SQL in Management Studio, Enterprise Manger or MSDE backup and restore utility. Save the backup in .bak format.
For more details refer to Backing up an SQL database using Management Studio
Check the System Requirements and Certified Environment Roadmap on the MYOB Support website to ensure that the environment of the new server is certified. Refer to the System Requirements link for further information.
Ensure the operating system of the file server has the latest service pack that has been approved.
Check the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) setting on the serveThe DEP setting needs to be set to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only for installations on Windows servers. If you are required to change the setting, you will need to reboot the server for the setting to take effect.
For more details refer to Establishing Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings
- Follow the menu path: Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features. The Programs and features window appears.
- Click the Add/Remove Windows Components button. The Windows Components Wizard appears.
- Scroll through the Components list until you locate Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration and untick it if it is ticked. Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is now deselected.
- Click Next. Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is removed.
To find the location of the billing templates on the old server, log into AE PM and follow the menu path Maintenance > Documents > Documents Styles. All the templates that have a tick in the enabled column are the ones being used by the practice. Take note of the path so the templates can be copied to the new server.
To find the location of the documents on the old server, log into AE PM and follow the menu path Maintenance > Documents > Documents Creation Settings. The Algorithm column shows the location of where the documents are stored. Take a note of these locations so the documents can be copied across.
For more details refer to Installing Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or 2019 Express with Management Tools to MYOBACCT Instance.
For more details refer to Restoring an SQL database using SQL Server Management Studio
Run the Create user.sql script against the database.
- Open SSMS.
- In the AEDB database, go to the table pmo_SyncConfiguration.
- Right-click the table and select edit top 200.
- Delete the row with the registered_database_identifier key.
Please download the latest release of AE Practice Manager, available from the Product Downloads page, Australia or New Zealand and refer to the installation guide to complete the installation. Once installed, confirm you can log in successfully.
Open AE PM and go into the configuration table to check that the paths for Tax, MAS and contacts are pointing to the correct location.
For more details regarding how to configure AE PM for Tax and MAS refer to Configuring the Tax and MAS ledger buttons to enable launching from AE Practice Manager
For more details regarding how to configure AE PM for Contacts refer to Activating compliance links in the task bar
Administration Centre 3 integration
Refer to the attached document AE_Admin_Centre_3_0_InstallGuide.pdf.
Refer to the attached document Installation Guide - CDS Integration with AE Practice Manager.pdf. For more detail, refer to article Re-installing CDS integration
Practice Manger Plus integration
Refer to the bottom of article Confirming your integration is PM Plus in Practice Manager
The Tax Smart Reports install is available from the AE Tax installation image as per above. Please read the install guide before installing.
Open AE PM and open a client. Go to the Documents tab and ensure you can open documents.
Also go to the Bills tab and ensure you can open invoices.
Schedule a backup of the Practice Manager SQL database within PM. To do this follow the menu path Maintenance > Backup > Schedule Backups.
- Integration is working: Open up Practice Manager, select a client, make sure you can change the name and that it flows through to Tax.
- Launch Tax from the Tax Returns tab: Select a client, click on the tax returns tab, double click a tax return and make sure they open.
- Run a report from Smart Reports
Ensure you remove the MYOB AE client via control panel->programs and features.
Then re-install the AEPM workstation setup by running \\SERVERNAME\centralclient\setup.exe in START->search programs and files.
Make sure you've disabled and stopped the following MYOB Practice Services.
- MYOB DM Portal Sync Service
- MYOB OnTheGo API Service
- MYOB Sync Client Service
MYOB Tax Manager Service
MYOB Tax SBR Sender Server (AODB1) (where AODB1 is the name of your database). If you have multiple databases, you'll see multiple instances of this service. Make sure you've disabled and stopped all the services.
Follow the steps below to disable and stop the services
- From the desktop of your Server or Standalone, press and hold the Windows key and R on your keyboard.
- In the Open field, enter services.msc and click OK.
From the list of Services, locate the service you want to disable and stop. For example, MYOB Sync Client Service.
- Right-click the service and select Properties.
- In the Service Properties window, select Disabled in Startup type. Click OK.
- To stop the service, right-click on the service and select Stop. The service will show Disabled and the Status column will be blank.