This support note applies to:
- AE Practice Manager (AU)
- Timecost (AU)
- Profiles (AU)
- AE MAS (AU)
- AE Assets (AU)
- AE Tax Series 6 & 8 (AU)
- AE Accounts (AU)
MYOB INTERNAL STAFF ONLY
**DO NOT MODIFY THIS ARTICLE. WHERE CHANGES ARE REQUIRED, REFER TO THE PREMIUM TEAM**
The following is an overview of how to migrate MYOB Accountants Enterprise series 6 or 8 to a new Server. The procedure involves a clean installation of the program files to the new server and a database conversion of the existing database.
If you use MAS, see Migrating MAS with MYOB Accountants Enterprise version 6 or 8 before proceeding.
Due to the complexities of a migration, the full process cannot be covered in a single knowledge base article. It is intended that this article be used in conjunction with the Installation Guide and the AE TAX Migration Utility User Guide, which are included on the Accountants Enterprise series 6 or 8 download image, and that those guides be read prior to commencing the migration process.
MYOB provides a Migration Service. If you have any doubts or concerns about completing this migration yourself, please contact your local MYOB office and arrange for one of our Consultants to perform the migration for you. This service may require a booking, so please plan well in advance.
MYOB strongly suggests that the migration of MYOB AE Series 6 or 8 is performed by an individual with strong knowledge of these software products. In addition, this individual should be competent with the Microsoft Windows operating system.
If you experience issues with MYOB software after following the instructions below, additional assistance on your migration may fall outside of the terms of your Sales and Service Agreement.
Please read through the instructions below prior to undertaking the migration process.
To migrate MYOB Accountants Enterprise to a new server, you will need to:
It is required that you have a complete and reliable backup of all MYOB AE program and Data files. This needs to be done before you attempt to move or copy data to your new file server.
You'll also need to unschedule all ATO PLS reports on your old server and ensure there are no Tax Returns with a status of Transmitting or Transmitted. If you have Transmitted or Transmitting returns, contact MYOB support for assistance.
- Log on to my.myob.com.au, and go to the Products > Downloads menu, and select MYOB AE Tax Series 6 or 8 from the drop down choices available.
- Download the Release Notes, Installation guide and Install files under the most recent full version heading. The version will stated as 8.XX.0 or 6.XX.0
The install file is a self-extracting executable file. When double clicked it will extract all the installation files into a folder and series of sub folders.
- Check the System Requirements and Certified Environment Roadmap on the my.myob.com.au website to ensure that the environment of the new server is compatible;
- Ensure the operating system of the file server has the latest service pack that has been approved.
The DEP setting needs to be set to Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only. If you are required to change the setting, you will need to reboot the server for the setting to take affect.
- At the Windows desktop, follow the menu path: Start > Control Panel > System. The System Properties window appears.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings in the Performance section. The Performance Options window appears.
- Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, select the Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only option and click Apply. The prompt "The changes you have made require you to restart your computer before they can take effect" appears.
- Click OK. The Control Panel window closes.
- Reboot your machine for the changes to take affect.
Server 2008 R2
Open Server Manager onTask bar
Click on Configure IE ESC
Switch Administrators to Off
Switch Users to Off
Server 2012/2012 R2
On the task barclick on Server Manager icon
Select Local Server
On the right side click where it states On for IE Enhanced Security Configuration
Switch both Administrators and Users to Off
Virus scanners can prevent the installation of MYOB Accountants enterprise so if it has already been installed best to disable it for the duration of the migration.
Install SQL Express to the default instance in mixed mode with named pipes and TCP/IP enabled.
- Follow the menu path: START > Control Panel > Administration Tools > Terminal Services > Terminal Services Configuration
- Set the Use Temporary Folders Per Session option to No.
- Create a folder named MYOBAE either on the root directory or any other physical partition on the new server.
- Share this folder out as MYOBAE with the Everyone group having Full control of the shares. The MYOBAE folder is shared.
It is best practice to keep the share and drive mapping the same as it was on the old server.
Create a program directory called MYOB under the MYOBAE share folder and ensure it appears as M:\MYOB in Windows Explorer. The MYOB folder is created (it should be on the same drive as theMYOBAE directory)
Before copying the data directories, ensure:
- everyone is logged out of the software
- the Administration Centre services are stopped
- the background process is stopped
- there are no open files.
To check open files on the old server navigate to START > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared folders > Open Files and ensure nothing is open.
For information about stopping and restarting services and process, see Checking, restarting and stopping Admin Centre services and background processes.
The entire database directory, including all sub directories, need to be copied to the new server ensuring you exclude the install location e.g. the folder containing the bin, lib, model, proto and other folders. Please also copy over the Sol64 folder but rename it to Sol64.OLD so that a new one is generated by the installer. Ensure that read only attributes have been removed from all MYOB directories on the new server. The data directory will be copied directly under shared directory "\MYOBAE" and will appear in Windows Explorer as M:\DATA\. The data needs to be backed up on the old server before copying over.
To locate the Database directory:
- Copy both the folders listed as Database location and System release path
- Sites without AEPM: Can be found at START > All programs > MYOB Accountants Enterprise > Contacts > Help > About > Application details
- Sites with AEPM: Can be found at START > All programs > MYOB Accountants Enterprise > Compliance Management > Help > About > Application details
- Make sure all users are logged out
- Open Datasafe and run a Check Now on the database. See Running the Check Now Utility.
- Once completed, click the Backup Now button to run a backup in Datasafe
- Once this has completed, highlight the backup you just completed in Datasafe from the Current Online Backups list then hold down the alt key and double click the left mouse button on the backup you just completed. This will open up the physical location of the backup you have just completed. Take note of the folder name where the backup will be stored.
- If the site has Corporate Compliance run the Corporate Compliance backup.
- Open up Contacts to take a note of the data location from Help > About > Application Details > Database location. The datasafe backup you competed at step 5 should be in this location.
- Making sure all services and processes are still stopped copy the data from the old location (as per step 7 above) to the new Server.
See the installation guide and details downloaded as per Step 2 above, ensuring you install to the program directory created earlier. E.g. M:\MYOB
If you have AEPM stop here and migrate this first, then run an AEPM workstation setup to update the licence paths to UNC, then rename the bothlic.ini files in the C:\MYOB subfolders (one is a hidden file) to avoid the invalid licence issue. Once the database conversion completes don't press Finish, press the [x] to close the window and click Finish on the next window that pops up. This is as instructed in the AETAX_Migration_Utility_2_0_User_Guide.PDF document at top of page 9.
Navigate to the database location on the new server then open the AE_Tax.ini in Notepad. Update the section named AeTaxDb= to the new server\SQL instance name.
You must read the AETAX_Migration_Utility_User_Guide.pdf prior to running the AETax Migration tool. Following this, ensure you run a Resync of the Security Users as per Page 22 of the guide as this will re-populate the System Release logins.
You can download the AE Tax Migration Utility on the my.MYOB Product Downloads page.
Once you have downloaded the AE Tax Migration Utility you will need to run AETaxMigration_2017.exe. When you get to the point where it prompts for the AETaxBackup.bak please do the following:
Copy either AETaxBackup.bak from a Datasafe backup or the AETAX.mdf file to the C:\Program files\MYOB\AETaxMigration folder on the new server. The file is copied to C:\Program files\MYOB\AETaxMigration.
If using the AETAX.mdf file you must ensure that database had been correctly detached from SQL/MSDE. See the Migration Utility User guide for further information regarding this process.
During this processyou will be prompted multiple times with a "Cleared" prompt box to which you just need to press OK. This is the migration utility refreshing system services links on each year.
If you have AEPM you will also need to do the steps below once the migration utility has finished to ensure the Administration Centre has all the streams required.
- Open your module.ini located in your installed folders BIN folder e.g. M:\MYOB\bin
- In the [DB_1] section at the end before the next section add the line VizIntegrated=1 as per example below:
- Save and close
- Open Datasafe->Support Tools and DBED your CDS.DIR to remove HVZ and add VIZ
Enter the following commands (in bold) into the command window:
d config with product(hvz) then press Enter - this removes 0~HVZ~
s config then press Enter - this will display that 0~HVZ~ does not exist
u config then press Enter and the cursor will drop to next line ready for data entry
0~VIZ~ and press Enter
. and press Enter - saves changes
s config then press Enter - this will display that 0~VIZ~ exists
q and press Enter - this will quit the DBED
- Once this has been done please run AETaxConfigUpdate.exe from your installed location e.g. M:\MYOB\bin
- Once the AETaxConfigUpdate.exe has finished you will need to open Administration Centre and ensure the stream Viz-AE Tax has its addresses mapped correctly. Once you have made the changes you will be prompted to run a resync to which you can say No as there is no need.
- Follow the menu path Start > Run. The Run box appears.
- In the Open field type M:\SOL64\sr where M: is the location of your program directory. The Login Gateway appears.
- Enter the User CodeSUPERVIS and the Password S6 and click OK. The Folders list is displayed
- Double click on the AETax folder. The contents of the folder are displayed.
- Confirm entries for Central Database Systems, AE Tax Calculator (from 2005 to 2014) and AE Tax (from 2005 to 2014) exist.
Check my.myob.com.au for any service packs available. And follow the installation guide.
Please check that you can generate an estimate on each tax year from 2005-Current. If it works please skip this step, if not proceed with Refreshing System services links as per below.
System service links need to be refreshed so that Tax Estimates show. For further instructions see Refreshing the System Services links (AE Tax Series 6 & 8).
The ELS History is located in a folder with the same name as your AETax database. E.g. if your database is named AETAX1 then the ELS History will be located in M:\Sol64.OLD\TA\AETAX1.
Tax Letters are located in the root of SOL64.OLD.
- Locate the ELS folder in the Sol64.OLD\TA folder and select. The folder is selected.
- Follow the menu path Edit > Copy. The folder is copied.
- Browse to the newly created Sol64\TA folder and follow the menu path Edit > Paste. The ELS History folder is pasted.
- In the Sol64.OLD folder highlight all the TaxLetters20** folders The folders are selected.
- Follow the menu path Edit > Copy. The folder is copied.
- Browse to the newly created Sol64 folder and follow the menu path Edit > Paste. The TaxLetters20** folders are pasted.
The ELS History and Tax Letters are now copied from the Sol64.OLD folder to the new Sol64 folder. Feel free to remove the SOL64.OLD folder now as it is no longer required.
Open up a tax return of each year and go to Utilities > Control Record > Defaults and enter the SQL password then press ENTER twice to save.
It must be done using the Enter key to take affect. This password is used for Tax Letters.
Backing up the Smart Reports SQL database
For SQL users:
Follow the menu path Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 200* > SQL Server Management Studio Express. SQL Server Management Studio Express opens.
Expand Databases. The list of databases appear.
Right click on the SSR1 database and follow the menu path Tasks > Back up. The Back Up Database window opens.
Ensure that the Disk option is selected and remove any existing path in the Destination section of the window and then click Add in the Destination section of the window. The Select Backup Destination window appears.
Use the ellipses [...] button to select the destination of where you want to save the backup to and enter a name for the backup in File name, ensuring it has a .bak extension, and then click OK, OK, and OK again. The Smart Reports database is backed up.
Copy this backup to the new server and restore.
- Follow the menu path Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2008 > SQL Server Management Studio Express. SQL Server Management Studio Express opens.
- Right click on Databases and select New Database. The New Database window opens.
- In Database name type SSR1 and click OK. A blank SSR1 database is created
- Rightclick on the SSR1 database that has been created and follow the menu path Tasks > Restore > Database. The Restore Database window appears
- Select From device and click the ellipses [...] button The Specify Backup window appears.
- Ensure File is selected in Backup media and then click Add. The Locate Backup File window opens.
- Browse to the backup of the SSR1 database created earlier and select it. The backup is selected.
- Click OK and OK again. You are returned to the Restore Database window.
- Tick the Restore box and then select Options The Restore options appear.
- Tick Overwrite the existing database and click OK. The restore process commences.
At the end of the restore you'll be notified that the database has been restored successfully.
Browse your database location e.g M:\DATA\MYOB folder, locate the ae_tax.ini file and double click to open in Notepad. The ae_tax.ini file opens.
Remove the line SSR_DSN=SSR1 and then follow the menu path File > Exit. You are prompted to save your changes.
Click Yes. The changes are saved.
You can now install Smart Reports from the Accounts Enterprise CD. See the Smart Reports Release notes included on the Accountants Enterprise for detailed installation instructions.
- Install Reporter 3.5
Install Reporter workstation setup from M:\MYOB\Setup\reporter Integration\setup.exe
This install lays down a required DLL file. If you have customised your masters these will need to be copied over from the installed location off the old server so you retain changes.
When the server installation has completed successfully run a workstation installation from windows explorer by browsing to M:\MYOB\SETUP and double click on the setup.exe file. This will start the workstation installation. At the end of the installation process ensure the workstation is restarted.Also run the Reporter workstation install as mentioned above.
The workstation installation needs to be done on each workstation.
If the workstation is a pre-existing workstation you will need to amend the ceedata.ini manually post workstation setup or copy it from c:\windows off the new MYOB SQL server.
This can be located in different locations depending on your environment.
For Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10: C:\windows and C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows
For Server 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2 Terminal servers/RDS: each user will have their own under %USERPROFILE%\Windows folder
Run the following tests:
- Open Client Compliance in AEPM and check that all clients are showing on the Client Compliance screen.
- Open Compliance Management in AEPM and check that all icons are showing on the screen.
- Open Datasafe by following the menu path Start > Programs > MYOB Accountants Enterprise > Datasafe and check the Datasafe screen appears.
- Open Contacts or Client Compliance on the server and locate a client with Tax matters and double click to open the client profile. The client profile window opens.
Click on the money bag Tax icon. The client's tax return opens.
Close the tax return by following the menu path File > Exit. The Tax Return closes.
Select a client who has an uncompleted current year tax return and double click the client to open the client profile. The client profile opens
Click the Names button. The Names window opens.
Change the surname by adding 123 to the end and click OK. The Names window closes and the Surname is changed.
Open the clients Tax Return. The Tax Return opens showing the amended Surname
Remove the 123 from the Surname and press Tab and then Esc. The Surname changes and the Tax Return closes.
Click the Names button. The Names window opens.
Confirm the Surname is back to the original entry. Integration is confirmed. Repeat the integration testing process from a workstation.
To set up PLS:
- Log into MYOB AE as an Administrator user and follow the menu Maintenance > Online > Practice my.MYOB settings.
Enter your Practice my.MYOB login, password and MYOB client code in the relevant fields.
Make sure the Practice my.MYOB login that you enter is the same Practice my.MYOB login used on your old server. This login must have web administrator access on the my.myob website.
- You'll need to onboard again with your new softwareID to setup for PLS. See How to complete the onboarding process?
For details of how to set Datasafe backups on the server see Scheduling DataSafe to back up one or more databases.
Symptoms you may experience after the MYOB AE migration
If any error messages appear after the migration of MYOB AE, a list of possible explanations is provided below:
- The configuration settings in the program and data directories may have been set incorrectly in the ceedata.ini file;
- A non-certified environment may have been used for the new workstation;
- A blank database path may have been selected during the database conversion process;
- An incorrect path has been selected for the program installation for example instead of selecting S:\MYOB as the program directory you may have selected S:\MYOB\BIN
- The database conversion process may have not completed successfully.
- The licence was copied over accidently resulting in invalid licence or your licence file is not valid for this computer
- The installed location e.g. MYOB\bin was copied over resulting in numerous errors about old server paths
MYOB INTERNAL STAFF ONLY
Background processes is not starting when I restart my server but it works fine via Administration Centre ***MYOB INTERNAL ARTICLE ONLY**: https://myob.service-now.com/kb_view_article.do?sysparm_article=KB0018751