Skip to main content
Skip table of contents

Reversing receipts

Practice Manager only

You may need to reverse a receipt where it was input with an incorrect amount or date.

Once you have reversed a receipt, it is automatically matched against the original entry. The reversed receipt can be viewed in the Debtors Ledger when the client is selected.

You cannot delete a receipt once it has been posted; you can only reverse them.

Rules for reversing receipts:

  • If you have closed your Tax (AE) and/or Accounting period, you won't be able to reverse the receipt. You'll need to enter a negative receipt.
  • If using Bank Reconciliation within AE, you can't reverse receipts. You'll need to enter a negative receipt.
  • The receipt must be unallocated before it can be reversed.
  • When reversing a receipt you must date the reversal within an open accounting period.
To reverse a receipt
  1. Access the Debtors Ledger for the client. See Accessing the debtors ledger.

  2. Ensure that the Show Zero option is selected. All transactions for the selected client are displayed. By default, the previous 12 month transactions are displayed. You can change the date of which transactions are displayed by entering or selecting the date in the field adjacent to the Show Zero checkbox.

  3. Select the receipt that requires reversal.

  4. Click Unallocate. The Unallocated Cash Tax Rate window opens.

  5. Select the appropriate tax rate from the drop-down Select Tax Rate field.

  6. Click OK. The receipt is unallocated.

    If the prompt Failed to Unallocate. You cannot unallocate cash which is in a closed accounting period appears, you will need to enter a negative receipt.

  7. Select the receipt that requires reversal.

  8. Click Reverse.

  9. Enter the date to which the receipt is to be reversed. The receipt is reversed. An identical row with a minus amount is displayed in the Ledger table.

    The receipt could be reversed using the original receipt date if it falls within the current period.  If the entry is in a closed accounting period, you will need to enter a negative receipt dated in the current period, for example $-200.00.



JavaScript errors detected

Please note, these errors can depend on your browser setup.

If this problem persists, please contact our support.