- Open the workpapers period. See Opening an existing period. The Prepare Trial Balance (Workpapers) table is displayed.
- Open a workpaper. See Opening workpapers. The specific workpaper window opens.
- Click on the Link document in the taskbar option of workpapers.
- Click Browse in the Select external file section. The Attach External File window opens.
- Navigate to the location where the file is stored and find the file.
- Click Open.
- Ensure that the path and filename in the File field are correct.
If you are linking to a specific PDF bookmark or Excel worksheet, select it from the Reference drop-down. If the external document does not contain any bookmarks or worksheets, then a link will be created to the Entire Document. If you are not linking to a PDF or Excel document, then the Reference option will not be available. The Workpaper name field is automatically filled with the name of the file that is to be linked to the period. If you are linking to a PDF bookmark or Excel worksheet, then the bookmark/worksheet name enclosed in brackets is added as a suffix to this value. You can change this value by deleting the existing text and entering a new Workpaper name.
The Workpaper name must be unique. An error message is displayed if the Workpaper name is already in use.
- Click Preview.If you are linking to a specific bookmark in a PDF document, the PDF document is opened in a PDF Reader at the bookmarked page.If you are linking to the entire PDF document as it does not have any bookmarks, then the PDF document is opened in a PDF Reader at the first page.If you are not linking to a PDF document, the document opens in the appropriate application for you to preview.Preview the information displayed and check that the bookmark is correct.
- Click Link. The document is linked to the workpaper. The name and location of the linked document is displayed in the Link column of the Document Links table of the workpaper. The document name is displayed in the Description column of the Document Links table. This can be changed by clicking the icon. A icon will be displayed next to the table row. This icon can be dragged and dropped.
- Click Save. Changes are saved and the window remains open.orClick OK. The window closes, and any changes made will be saved.orClick Cancel. The window closes.
If you have made any changes you will be prompted to save the changes before the window closes.
If you have Document Manager, and you checked out PDF documents in this workpaper by clicking the Edit button, a warning message will display asking if you want to check in these saved PDF documents when you close the workpaper. Clicking Yes will check in all PDF documents. Clicking No will require you to check in these documents manually. These documents can be checked in manually using the Document Manager icon in the system tray. See Accessing Document Manager from the system tray.